Most kids’ first adventures take place in their imaginations. The suggestions on this website, allow you to help kids make connections between the adventures of their dreams and history while exploring NYC. It provides a chance to highlight ‘the story’ in history.
Don’t forget a pencil, each adventure contains suggested things to look for, sketch, describe, or discuss. Whether you are visiting New York, or have lived here all of your life, these tips will elevate a day of sightseeing, to a time travel adventure. The activities are aimed at kids 7 and up.
Tips For Time Travel
- Know your limits, or your kids’ limits. When the kids are done, don’t push on for one more thing.
- Have a plan. This website will help you decide what to focus on. At each site there are other things you may see, or other sites nearby. Prioritize what you want to do, and start at the most important. If things start to head south, see tip 1.
- Take pictures! Allow the kids to take them, or encourage them to strike a pose.
- Check websites before you go to ensure you have the correct hours, address and directions.
- Bring a pencil and a journal. Encourage your kids to sketch and describe their experiences.